Engravers

Richard Offen richard at ...
Mon Dec 26 07:52:39 GMT 2005

> The guy who engraves bells for us, Taylors, Whitechapel etc is called
Paul Edwards from Leicestershire - and it is all done with hammer and
chisel. He is a very talented guy - He did Bredon Treble for us last
week and the four ex cowley bells (now at Hampstead) earlier this year.
He has a large portfolio which he is hoping to put on the net at some
point. I have some photos of him working, but they are in Somerset and
I am in Kent!

> Happy Christmas to all.
>
> Matthew

I well remember the guy who used to do the bell engraving at
Whitechapel in the very early 70s. He was amazing to watch.

The process is very much like that used by monumental masons and wood
carvers, the differences being that you are working with an extremely
hard material that, like stone, comes off in small chips rather than as
curls of swarf. There is also the added difficulty of working on a
curved surface.

The engraver would scribe some chalk lines round the bell, which was
laid on its side on a trestle, chalk on a rough layout of the letters
and then set to work with his hammer and engraving chisels. The most
remarkable part of the process was the control the engraver had over
his chisel - he had wrists that looked like small tree trunks!

I have always derived great pleasure from watching any skilled
craftsman at work, but, being a calligrapher myself, to see someone
create beautifully formed letters in such a hostile material was a
particular pleasure.

Happy Christmas.

Richard