[Bell Historians] Peterborough Cathedral

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at ...
Fri Dec 30 19:49:16 GMT 2005

Were these bells weighed when they were removed from the tower, so that we
can complete the details of the old heavy five?

Also, I don't think we ever had an answer to David's question on
Peterborough St John, i.e. the tenor weighed 26-2-22 after the Gillett
restoration, and are now given as 25-2-22 in Dove - spookily exactly a
hundredweight lighter than the former weight. Did anyone have the updated
details?

Andrew Bull

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of David Bryant
Sent: 26 December 2005 20:14
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Peterborough Cathedral

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Nick Rossi <nrrossi at g...> wrote:

> I have not heard anything about them other than this message. If you
can
> get me a church, or any other information, I can see what I can find
out.

According to the book, the three bells were told to the owners of the
Vista International Hotel. It also says that they donated one of them
to the Pittsburgh city authorities, and it was to be placed in the
portico of the City County Building. I believe that the other two were
to be displayed in the hotel.

The bells were cast by Henry Penn of Peterborough, who was related to
William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, hence the bells were bought for
this historical connection.

David

Yahoo! Groups Links