[Bell Historians] Bury St Edmunds

Andrew Wilby andrew at w...
Wed Feb 2 12:38:55 GMT 2005

The dean of St Edmundsbury is a former Vicar of Towcester and I had a
number of conversations with him on the subject when he embarked on the
project to build the tower.

It is definitely a "lantern tower" and is not intended to hold any
bells. Even the suggestion of a Bourdon was out.

He did investigate the story that the Gatehouse might not belong to the
Cathedral, just in case the was a consideration of moving the bells
into something it did own but found that not to be true.

So that's it.

Andrew