[Bell Historians] Emscote

Mike Chester mike at m...
Fri Feb 4 13:47:17 GMT 2005

>From memory of reading microfilmed copies of the Coventry Evening
Telegraph of the time a few years ago, it took several efforts over 2
or 3 weeks to get the tower down, only one of which involved blowing
it up. It was very obstinate and I cannot guarantee at all that this
picture is of, or around, the moment of final collapse.

My interest was started in the early 1990s when the CET published an
old photograph of the tower at the moment the explosives went off. It
was bulging and cracking in a dramatic fashion, but then failed to
fall over. It was still very recognisable as a church tower, just as
in this photograph. They had to resort in the end to attempt several
times to pull it over.

They should have got Fred Dibnah in to do it in the first place, I
suppose!

Mike