Emscote

Mike Chester mike at m...
Sun Feb 6 16:39:43 GMT 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> Dave Cawley writes the following re. Emscote:
>
> Re Emscote. Picturesque though Mike Chester's account is, it was in
fact blown up after the spire had been pulled down to the lower
lucarnes.

I have popped into the City Centre and had a look at film of the
Coventry Evening Telegraph for August 1967 in the Central Library. I
seems that, for once, David is not quite accurate.

Edition of Aug 2nd - Picture of workmen inside the church, pews gone,
floorboards being ripped up.

Aug 4th - story stating that there had been an attempt to pull down
the top of the spire, but the cables, which had been put through the
louvres by local firemen, simply "cut through the old stone like
butter". Another attempt was made on the spire was unsuccessful, "it
rocked but refused to budge" so it they moved to the church itself
and brought most of if down by pulling out the pillars supporting the
roof. There are pictures on a different stage showing this happening
and clearly showing that the spire was still on the tower.

(It also states that the churchwarden, one Mr Ron King, had filmed
the events for the church records. I wonder if the film survives.)

Aug 16th; headline, "Church tower defies workmen ... then falls.

"After defying several attempts* by demolition workers to pull it
down during the past fortnight, to the tower of All Saints' Church,
Emscote eventually cam crashing to the ground - on its own accord".

It is as I suggested, they knocked a corner off the tower and tried
to pull it over, failed, had a conversation as to what to do next and
whilst this was happening the tower came down.

The picture on the page is the same as the one I posted and therefore
it is of the moment that it came down. These events took place the
previous day.

Mike

*IIRC one of these did involve the use of explosives.