[Bell Historians] St Andrews Derby

Andrew Wilby andrew at w...
Wed Feb 9 16:33:07 GMT 2005

What date was that peal John?

Was it not one of Mr Pladdys' last even bell peals for quiet a while,
just before he plunged into his FE Robinson/ Stedman phase? My theory on
the subject at the time, as JP has recently reminded me, was that he
decided that turning in tenors was too much like hard work... but if he
was not going to do it he was damn sure nobody else was going to either!

I was working in Derby after the church demolition had started. The
contractor did drop the spire into the tower, a usual method of
demolition. Only this time the door at the bottom was only single door
sized and with all the masonry packed down behind it it was impossible
to dig it out. The job stood for some while with the contractor going
bust because of it.

A new contractor had to start at the top, knocking of one course of
stonework at a time!

This was St Andrew's Litchurch (in Litchurch Lane near the Carriage and
Wagon Works), built I believe by the Midland Rly Co for their staff.

Anyone have details?

Andrew