[Bell Historians] Identification assistance

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sun Feb 13 23:57:40 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

Again to confirm, definitely by James Barwell & Sons, Great Hampton Street,=
Birmingham.

It is the earlier and rarer of the two crests they used. As David says, the=
other has the JB / (large) B for "James Barwell Birmingham", a device not =
infrequently found on their bells. I am pretty sure this latter was in use =
by 1890. The JB / JB crest which preceded it seems to be scarcer. About ten=
years ago a bell came into Taylor's for recasting - don't know from where =
- with the JB / JB crest, which JT reckoned to be worth reproducing facsimi=
le on the new bell. Andrew kindly gave me the lead cast used in the process=
, I have it before me now. 3 3/4" x 3" across the oak leaves; the shield 1 =
1/4" x 2".

Interesting by the way to see the image of the Naylor Vickers bell. The "yo=
ke" (headstock on this side of the pond) has the "adjustable gudgeons - you=
can see the serrations whereby the shoulders of the stock were adjusted - =
i.e., if you didn't like the hang of your bell you just went upstairs with =
a spanner and altered it, Well, so the advert said, or words to that effect=
. But I've never seen the real thing, so thanks to Carl for putting it on.

DLC=20

----- Original Message -----=20