[Bell Historians] (Head)stocks

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Wed Feb 16 11:50:30 GMT 2005

Anybody know when stocks started being called 'headstocks' and why?
Certainly they are always called 'stocks' in old documents. Since there is
so far as I am aware no bit of bell equipment called a 'footstock', in Bs
and Bs of Dorset I have reverted to the old term.

Those kind and eager people who have already sent me cheques for Dorset Part
III may be glad to know that it really is now with the printers, warts and
all. So publication should be in a matter of weeks, if not days...

C D