Christ Church, Moreton, Wirral

Peter Humphreys pfh at w...
Mon Feb 21 12:48:56 GMT 2005

I have been trying to obtain some basic data on the four bells at Christ
Church, Moreton, Wirral to complete my 'analysis' of the history of the
bells in Wirral Branch Towers.

Despite persistent efforts over more than a year (off and on) I have now
been advised by the Parish Office that access to the tower is prohibited
'on health and safety grounds'. Sounds like a feeble excuse to me! The
bells are out of action due to broken (vandalised) wheels but I just
want Founder and Date although details of inscriptions and diameters
would be an added bonus.

The Parish Office could not even tell me the date the church was founded
as they have no records! This was, I believe, 1863, since I have been
told by one of the band that a peal rung there in 1963 was rung to mark
the centenary of the church (and bells?)

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter Humphreys
Wirral Branch Secretary.