Woodchurch

Giles Blundell GRBlundell at a...
Fri Feb 25 16:24:49 GMT 2005

 As they're an
early 1970s Whitechapel eight, Nigel Taylor should be able to confirm
this from the WBF Tuning Book.

Richard.

I have checked the weight of the tenor in the tuning book and it is
indeed 4-0-3, note "D"
Nigel Taylor

From: "Peter Humphreys" <pfh at w...>
Subject:
Fascinating! - as we in Wirral always thought this to be 3-3-27

- I'm sorry to keep banging on about this point, but this is a good example of us seeking spurious accuracy. The difference between 3-3-27 and 4-0-3 is 4 pounds - less than 1% of the bell's weight.

Can we be certain that Whitechapel's scales were accurate to 1% in the early 1970s? And if (as we may be) we are, does it really matter? I've heard no one argue that 3-3-27 would be appropriate for the note and tone of the bell but 4-0-3 is unreasonably heavy (or the reverse). So while it is (possibly) interesting to have the weight given that little bit more precisely, we have to ask if it increases the sum of our useful knowledge about bells at all. And for a difference of less than 1%, I cannot see that it does.

If someone can build on this knowledge, and show that somehow Whitechapel could gain some commercial or other advantage by underquoting tenor weights so the weight was just under rather than just over a hundredweight, then the precise weight of Woodchurch tenor might be a useful historical fact. But unless someone can use it for that sort of purpose, then it is no more than historical trivia.

Cheers

Giles
Liverpool (and so more than happy to discuss this issue with Peter Humphreys and anyone else who may be at Pier Head tonight)