[Bell Historians] This weeks comic

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Sun Feb 27 13:13:35 GMT 2005

> I see from the cover story regarding the AC/DC bell that the size of the
> logo caused the bell to have a pronounced wobble. I wonder if the
> voluminous inscriptions on some bells causes a pronounced wobble,
> especially if these are on one side and not around the circumference of the
bell?

> Dave

[I remember discussing this very subject at Taylors some years ago. It
depends how far they stick out, really. One big founder's mark on the waist
of a smallish bell can cause problems, but a lot of lettering in low relief,
even if only on one side, is usually OK. You can see why the founders of
old had the wisdom normally to confine themselves to the inscription band.

CD]