[Bell Historians] Another church for sale

Chris Povey cmpovey at 3...
Thu Jan 13 19:33:24 GMT 2005

I visited this church when the conversion work to a house was underway - but
can't remember when; possibly 1989. None of the workmen seemed worried when
I went up the tower to look at the bells. I remember taking some photos (but
can't locate them at the moment). Chris Pickford is right; the bells were in
a very poor state. I thought it odd that the bells - ancient bells of decent
size - were apparently being swallowed up by the development and I reported
the situation to an officer of the Perborough Guild. He said the Guild were
aware of the situation and were keeping an eye on it.

The way these bells have transferred to the private sector without
apparently any form of protection is certainly very strange.

If I remember correctly the middle of Clay Coton - including the church,
which is in one of the lowest parts of the village - was liable to some
major flooding. The church was certainly flooded internally on more than one
occasion. I hope it doesn't flood now, because that's lot of money to pay
for a wet house, even if it has got three old bells, albeit in (probably) a
derelict state.

Chris Povey