[Bell Historians] Southwark

Andrew Bull andrew.bull at t...
Fri Jan 21 10:38:32 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

According to Chris Pickford's notes, the elm headstocks on the front six
were replaced with cast-iron ones in 1965. The seventh was recast in 1931,
so presumably was a flat-topped casting. I've seen the bells, and have
several photos; they definitely all have iron headstocks now, and none of
them has canons.

Andrew Bull

-----Original Message-----
From: LOVE, Dickon [mailto:dickon.love at a...]
Sent: 21 January 2005 09:29
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Southwark

DJB:
"Does anybody know when the canons were removed from the bells at Southwark
Cathedral? This is not clear from the tower website - which is excellent and
would serve as a very good exemplar for anyone designing a tower website."

JS:
"The bells were taken down during WW2 and not rehung until ( I think) 1947.
It may well be that the canons were removed prior to that rehanging. "

I think it is more likely that they were removed in 1910 when the back 6
received cast iron headstocks and the front 6 new elm headstocks. After the
war they were cleaned, tuned and rehung with new gudgeons and ball bearings,
but (I understand) the same headstocks.

Source: ASCY Website (so it must be right!).

DrL