[Bell Historians] Southwark

Mike Chester mike at m...
Fri Jan 21 14:59:35 GMT 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, jshe726707 at a... wrote:

> The bells were taken down during WW2 and not rehung until ( I
think) 1947. It
> may well be that the canons were removed prior to that rehanging.

Is there any case where a ring of bells were actually saved from
destruction due to the fact that they were removed from the tower
during WWII "just in case"? IIRC Southwark Cathedral was not
damaged "much" in the war and St Magnus the Martyr, with the enormous
benefit of hindsight would have been better off left in the tower.

Mike