[Bell Historians] Southwark cathedral

David Bryant davidbryant at h...
Tue Jan 25 18:44:34 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

The answer to David's question about the amount to be allowed for when cons=
idering a bell whose cast-in staple has been removed will depend not only o=
n the size of the bell but also that of the staple - as we know some care v=
ery large with huge roots buried in the crown of the bell, the removal of w=
hich is attended with difficulty and danger, especially if undertaken in th=
e tower.

So what sort of range would we be considering where a 30 cwt bell is concer=
ned?

I once helped remove staple roots from a 21 cwt Bilbie bell - I think I've =
still got them somewhere. They are large, square-sectioned and pretty heavy=
. The complete staple must have weighed quite a bit.