[Bell Historians] Published weights

David Bryant davidbryant at h...
Sun Jan 30 16:34:12 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

- I know I'm being pedantic, and I'm sure David spotted the point as soon a=
s his email went up on the list, but if a 'measurable' (and therefore presu=
mably measured) amount of metal is removed from a bell with a 'valid' weigh=
t, then we can still calculate an accurate weight for the bell. So at this =
point we will jave a calculated but accurate weight rather than an estimate=
.

But the problem is that although what is removed is measurable, it isn't us=
ually measured, in the same way that, as Nigel told us, individual sets of =
canons are not usually weighed. If we knew how much had been removed that w=
ould be fine, but generally we don't know!