[Bell Historians] What'as in a name?

David Bryant davidbryant at ...
Tue Jul 19 12:41:31 BST 2005

>But don't forget, that we have at least two proper minsters in
>England. York and Southwell. Both of which have medieval foundations
>(as in choir and connans, not building work...)

There are a lot more than two - some of which happen to be cathedrals, some
of which aren't. Other major ones include Ripon, Lincoln, Beverley,
Wimborne. There are many smaller ones which can legitimately claim the title
- e.g., in Yorkshire, Stonegrave and Kirkdale. The term 'Minster' is rather
imprecise, but generally means an ancient missionary centre. Hence the
CofE's recent practice of granting "minster" status is nonsensical.