[Bell Historians] What'as in a name?

Andrew Wilby andrew at ...
Tue Jul 19 17:13:26 BST 2005

> There are 42 English dioceses, and
> these are grouped into the Southern Province (centred on Canterbury), and
> the Nothern Province (centred on York). For this reason, the cathedrals at
> each of these places have the title 'Metropolitical Church' (York Minster's
> official title is 'The Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St Peter').
> They also have an Archbishop rather than a Bishop.

There are 44 actually, and as they say, you must not forget Sodor and Man!
You might think that it makes 43 but there's also the Diocese of Gibraltar and
Malta in Europe whose Bishop and administrative centre is at Gatwick. Not daft
these colonials.

St Edmunsbury and Ipswich is the other one with a double appelation. West
Suffolk was cut from Ely and East Suffolk from Norwich to make the new diocese
in 1914.
Two ancient tribal areas with ancient loyalties neither of which would have
appreciated the name of the other.
Bury St Edmunds was the ancient spiritual and monastic centre so was made the
Cathedral and Ipswich as the main poulation centre and County Town was included
in the title.

They have just finished off building the central lantern tower. No room for a
big bell but something of a wow in its own right.
Follow the link for a look. http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/

Andrew

Ps: Our new incumbent is faced with amalgamating a Parish or two into Towcester
and I'm about to do some reserch for him in terms of the local development
plans, population growth, local social structure etc... and he mentioned the
word Minster!
Here comes "Towcester Minster" perhaps! Not sure what I think about it really.
If it helps to put a name and identity to a new organisational structure for
people to relate to then it may have some merit.
If they start inventing new names it could get a lot worse!
Leadchurch, Archparish, Teamchapel,.....