[Bell Historians] The 26 bells of St Wilfrid's Harrogate

Richard Offen richard at ...
Fri Jun 3 10:10:01 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Peter Kirby"
<peter.c.kirby at b...> wrote:
> >> David Bryant
>
> [They had stopped doing it generally by this point. They started
again to
> some extent in the 70s with very light eights such as Lightcliffe
and Pately
> Bridge (bar stocks on all bells at both), but at Harrogate it
certainly
> appears to have been done for cheapness.]
>

> I think Lightcliffe were done on the cheap as well!
>

> Peter Kirby
>
> Ringer @ Lightcliffe 1971-present date

Weren't most of Taylor's mini-rings in the 50s, 60s and 70s hung on
bar headstocks? I seem to remember places such as Rochford and
Saxthorpe being hung so.

At Haddiscoe (and possibly others), they even forged wi/steel bar to
form canon retaining headstocks!

The first of the Whitechapel mini-rings, Radlett, also has bar
headstocks, but then WBF developed their fabricated hollow-section
steel headstocks, which we see at places such as Seasalter (sorry,
old habits die hard, I know I'm meant to call it Whitstable these
days!), Ston Easton, Scofton with Osberton, et al.