[Bell Historians] Pitches of bells

Andrew Higson andrew_higson at ...
Mon Jun 13 13:45:17 BST 2005

I think we have conclusively proved that every time you invent a rule,
someone will either flaunt it or overrule it! Even when I tell people
(i.e.Clifton) what key their bells are in, they ignore it and do their own
thing. I wouldn't be so harsh as to dismiss Dickon's idea, but getting
everyone to play ball is tricky.

Do you think there is also an element of "my tenor is in C# and sounds
bigger than yours in D flat". OK, doesn't work for Brasted, but I'm sure
that was why a ring of 12 we made in the late 80's was categorised so even
though they had a 2# giving a light 8 in G#; G#, A#, B#, C#, D#, E#, F##,
G#!! Thank goodness we don't have to ring from music.

I'd never though of reclassifying bells on the cusp in a heat wave. Maybe
there is a market for heat sensitive weights cards that change at the
appropriate temperature or even better pitch sensitive ones.

Andrew