[Bell Historians] Re: alternative to bells

David Bryant davidbryant at ...
Thu Jun 16 12:41:09 BST 2005

I think Smith's (the clockmakers) sell electronic devices which simulate the
sound of bells. I've seen them in a catalogue. From the description, they
sound really naff, I must say.

In Northallerton there is a clock projecting from the front of a shopping
precinct, which 'sounds' the Westminster quarters and hour, with the
recodings being of a chime with an hour bell in excess of a ton. Can't
remember what the note is - Eb or D I think, but I could be wrong. It sounds
rather incongruous, to say the least!