[Bell Historians] Re: alternative to bells

Dickon Love dickon.love at ...
Thu Jun 16 14:32:40 BST 2005

> DrL wote:
>
> >St Bride's, Fleet Street also has an artificial bell machine.

An appeal was launched by Press Association to provide Compton
Electronic Carillon of 25 notes on 12th Mar 1953. The Daily Telegraph
was to be the arch critic of this 'unloved instrument'. The estimated
cost was £2,000. It was inaugurated on 5th May that year by the Lord
Mayor. The carillon broke down in c.1980.

Looking this up reminds me that I haven't actually connected my St
Bride's page to rest of London Lovesguide. I think I was waiting to
complete my research on the early (pre-fire) ring of bells in the
tower. (I have been trawling through the Guildhall library.) Suffice
to say that there is evidence of a heavy eight at that time, possibly
as much as 45cwt!

For those who haven't yet found the page through the back door, it can
be found at:
http://london.lovesguide.com/bride_fleet.htm

DrL