[Bell Historians] St Bride's

Richard Offen richard at ...
Fri Jun 17 04:41:47 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Kipling" <bdk at b...>
wrote:
> >St Bride's, Fleet Street...
>
> Probably not the right mailing list for this, but isn't it about
time this historic location in the history of the exercise had a
decent number of proper bells in it once more? If the College Youths
and Cumberlands worked together, perhaps London could get its first
sixteen - after all, London has to be the only place in the world
that should comfortably be able to support sixteen bell ringing but
which doesn't have a sixteen bell tower. Cutting the extra rope
holes in the concrete floor might be a pain in the bum, but I take it
that the tower is a reasonable size (especially by London standards!)
and that fitting them in shouldn't be too problematic.

> Ben Kipling

I ring at a sixteen bell tower on an almost daily basis, but must
admit that I'm still not convinced about the overall musicality of
sixteen. What about a decent twelve instead?!