[Bell Historians] St Bride's

Dickon Love dickon.love at ...
Fri Jun 17 09:15:33 BST 2005

Ben Kipling:
> >St Bride's, Fleet Street...
>
> Probably not the right mailing list for this, but isn't it about
time this historic location in the history of the exercise had a
decent number of proper bells in it once more?

Yes, but all in good time. We are currently working on getting a new
ring of 12 into St Magnus the Martyr to replace the former 10
removed just before the war. There is also a plan in principle to
replace the bells at St Michael's Cornhill with a more appropriate
twelve once it reaches the top of the church's priority list. St
Bride's won't go away, but has not been forgotten.

"If the College Youths and Cumberlands worked together, perhaps
London could get its first sixteen"

I am not sure why the Cumberlands would be interested in a new ring
of 16. I believe they have never rung a peal on 16 yet so does not
appear to interest them much. Besides, they still have Shoreditch to
sort out.

"Cutting the extra rope holes in the concrete floor might be a pain
in the bum, but I take it that the tower is a reasonable size
(especially by London standards!) and that fitting them in shouldn't
be too problematic."

The tower isn't actually that big inside. There is also a lot of
brick and concrete about. My personal view is that a ring of 16
WOULD fit in there, and that the tenor of this ring is already
there...

Richard Offen:
"I ring at a sixteen bell tower on an almost daily basis, but must
admit that I'm still not convinced about the overall musicality of
sixteen."

Well you wouldn't - you're a Cumberland! :)

DrL