[Bell Historians] Link

Richard Offen richard at ...
Thu Jun 30 03:40:39 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> > Where does it `specifically explain' that? Perhaps I've missed
something?

> From http://www.lovemytown.co.uk/CityStatus/index.htm (shame about
the errant apostrophe)

> Can a Town lose its City Status?
> If a city council is lost in local government re-organisation then
so is that town's city status (unless the monarch decides to restore
it on application by the former city).

> Rochester lost city status in 1998 when it became part Medway
Borough with Gillingham, and Hereford lost it in 2000 when it became
Hereford Parish within the County of Herefordshire.

> Hereford re-applied in 2000 and was successful. Rochester has
never re-applied and is the only town in civic history to have lost
and not recovered it's city status.

Thank you! I did miss it!

It's interesting, because Medway Council still seems to think that
Rochester is a city!

Oh well, this hardly has any relevance to bell history!

Ho hum!