[Bell Historians] Cullercoates

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at y...
Fri Mar 18 09:44:52 GMT 2005

I dont know the truth about when they were hung for chiming other
than local stories but I do know the chime is definitely not in good
working order. It is rarely used now and is in a poor state. What is
worse is the state of the straps holding the bells onto the stocks
and the tie bars in the frame which have corroded right through.
They are dangerous.

David

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Higson"
<andrew_higson at t...> wrote:
> We have the following extract from the church's history in our
file:

> In 1887 the Vicar received an estimate of £610.7s.6d for a peal of
8 bells. It must have been too much for in the upshot bells 1 (E
flat), 6 (G), 7 (F) and 8 (E flat were bought at a cost of
£419.15s.0d. They were fitted with a "Warner's No. 1 chiming
> Thanks to which the bells were never swung, only
> The chime was never completed but in 1961 it was thoroughly
overhauled and is now in good working order and used regularly.

> Do these count as lost? More never found I would guess!
>
> Andrew

Cullercoates, Tyne & Wear, S. George, 4, 22cwt. David Hird believes
they were rung prior to WW2 and re-hung for chiming after WW2. Does
anyone have a more precise date (year) for the conversion to chiming?