[Bell Historians] St Sidwell, Exeter

David Cawley dave at d...
Mon Mar 21 23:52:26 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

When I compiled the PM notes for the CCC on the redundancy of the present S=
t Sidwell's, JGMS informed me that the chancel - and the bell - would be ke=
pt in use there.

It was intended to hang a ring of bells in the never built tower, but I hav=
e a sketch of it, in which it looks rather slender for a ten of that size -=
but then so did the old one too.

The net weioghts of the six bells which survived were:
2nd 5-3-7
3rd 6-2-23
4th 7-1-2
5th 8-1-6
6th 9-1-20
9th 16-3-3
Together with 29-2-17 of broken bells delivered at Loughborough July 1943. =
A total net weight of 4-tons 3-cwt 3-qr 22-lb

A year before, JT & Co had quoted for recasting the whole ring and in 1954 =
they were talking of a ring of twelve, tenor 28-cwt, in two tiers with 1,2,=
9,0,T below. The matter was deferred in 1957 and by 1963 they had given up =
the idea altogether.

As CJP has said, it took them a while to get their act together over the su=
rviving 9th which hangs in a tapering steel octagon for stationary electri=
cal chiming.=20
----- Original Message -----=20