[Bell Historians] Ringers' rules

CHRIS PICKFORD c.j.pickford.t21 at b...
Thu Mar 24 23:35:21 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

" ... it is often unclear whether rings of three have been rung other than =
very occasionally."=20

I think it is safe to assume that rings of three were rung - and rung full =
circle. The presence of stays and sliders and full wheels on so many (York=
shire) threes would suggest that full circle ringing was intended. Darring=
ton has plain hunt on three scratched into the GF wall. Full circle ringin=
g was the modus operandi of ringing bells - and still is.=20=20

I nearly penned a reply to David's comment earlier, but I'm glad I didn't a=
s Andrew's observation is spot on. There is plenty of documentary evidence =
too. I've even got one excellent example - a local dispute between the squi=
re's man and the paid ringers - of ringing at a two-bell tower. As Andrew s=
ays, full-circle ringing was the modus operandi of ringing bells.=20

The earliest set of bells in a church hung only for chiming - by machine in=
this case - that I know of is Stapleford in Leics (1785). Any advances?

CP