[Bell Historians] Sowerby Bridge

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at ...
Sat Mar 26 21:48:51 GMT 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> I thought it was the steel six from Stainland (about three miles
from Sowerby Bridge) that were bought by Andy Thornton Antiques. I
seem to remember someone telling me that they had seen them at the
dealer's showroom, but that is probably at least ten years ago. I
hadn't realised that the Sowerby Bridge bells went there as well.

> I thought the Stainland bells were in a local park near the church.
>
> David

Raymond Clayton from Hoghton knows where Stainland bells are- he
maintains the Clock (or used to) and is a ringer.
I went up the tower with him soon after the bell metal chime was
installed.
I seem to recall they were a collection of bells tuned by Taylors,
and I think they are mainly (if not all) Taylor bells.
Chimed via Ellacombe rack.
Nice looking tower as well.
Will ask Raymond the location of the Vickers six.
I was led to believe that someone wanted to patch the old fittings
up at Stainland with regard to a peal before the steel six were
removed (1985?)

Alan