Hull Guildhall

John Paul Adams J.Adams at ...
Fri May 13 12:47:53 BST 2005

Taken from the BBC News WWW site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4033209.stm

>> Bells ring for Guildhall's 100th
>>
>> The Guildhall carillon will play tunes three times a day
>>
>> More appealing tunes are forthcoming from Hull's 100-year-old
>> Guildhall, now nine new bells have been hung.
>>
>> With only five bells, the carillon was limited to a single
>> tune. Having 14 means a bigger repertoire, a Hull Council
>> spokeswoman said.
>>
>> The largest of the nine weighs 2.5 tonnes and all have
>> been tuned to the key of B.
>>
>> The carillon will play three times a day between Monday and
>> Saturday at 12pm, 3pm and 6pm, she added.

Chris's list of big bells has Hull Guildhall, Hour Bell, 1865 Warner,
38cwt. Have they added a bigger 50cwt bell? I think I heard this
chime a few weeks ago whilst in Hull, but was some distance, so
couldn't locate where it had come from.

John

--
John Paul Adams, Medical School IT Support Section, Cruciform Building
University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT.