[Bell Historians] Re: A trawl through the archive

Richard Offen richard at ...
Fri May 27 06:55:03 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> Whatever David says, people DO like history as long as it is
> approachable, relevant and informative. Like any subject, history
> is as dull as ditch water if presented in a dull way!
>
> [Whilst I agree that there is a place for this sort of
presentation, it rather smacks of the 'dumbing down' prevalent in
society today, where everything has to be easily comprehensible to
the unintelligent and the uninitiated. Whilst there is certainly a
need for this, I don't think it should take the place of traditional
publication of academic research. I think that bell history needs a
society and a journal, in the style of historical and archaeological
journals. These need not be boring - many such journals are far from
boring - but equally they should not be dumbed down.

Who said anything about 'dumbing down'?

It seems to be a common misconception these days that if a factual
piece has been written in accessible manner it has been dumbed
down! A really skilled writer can make even the telephone book
sound interesting! I've read some totally captivating prose in the
most learned of historical and scientific journals.