[Bell Historians] Imber Bells

Richard Offen richard at ...
Fri May 27 06:59:22 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> Apart from the extant 3rd bell (Edington 5th), the remainder were
> supposed to have been used to provide additional metal for
Edington.
> However Fred Slatford (former SDGR secretary) from North Bradley
was
> visiting the foundry, while Edington's ten were there, and
discovered
> the ex-Imber bells still there as well. Whatever bell-metal was
used to
> cast the Edington bells couldn't have come from Imber, if Fred is
> correct and he is still adamant this is the case.
>
> [Quite probably. It reinforces the point which I made in a letter
to the RW a few weeks ago, that the basic concept of a recast bell is
bollocks. Each one is a new casting, which may or may not include
some or all of the metal of its predecessor and / or have its
predecessor's inscription reproduced in facsimile or modern
lettering.]

You're right! Nobody gets their old bells back, even if the
original metal goes into the pot: most of the tin goes up the foundry
flue whilst the metal is molten - that's why founders always 'tin up'
just before casting!