[Bell Historians] Canon removal and faculties

David Bryant davidbryant at ...
Wed Nov 2 15:40:51 GMT 2005

>So why is it that on some rehung rings you can tell which are on
>canon retainers? Bad hanging?

It's certainly the case with earlier (i.e. arched-type) canon retainers that
the bells with canons are really sluggish compared to those without. With
the hoop type it's far less pronounced, but I still think it is noticeable
if there is a mixture of bells with and bells without canons. If the whole
ring is on canon retaining stocks then there isn't usually a problem. We
have several such rings in York, one of which is probably the easiest-going
ring in the city (Spurriergate).

For this reason, I think that if a ring of, for example some medieval and
some nineteenth-century bells is being rehung and all still have canons, it
would be advisable to leave the canons on the 19th century bells as well.
The code of practice does in fact recommend this. I don't think I'd go as
far as to specify new bells with canons, though.