[Bell Historians] Re: Staunton Harold

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at ...
Fri Nov 4 18:43:41 GMT 2005

> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Chris Pickford"
> <c.j.pickford.t21 at b...> wrote:
>> Apart from the go of the bells, limited improvement
> through "restoration" etc, the thing that also struck me about
> Staunton Harold was the inadequate and inappropriate metalwork added
> to "strengthen" the frame. It looks totally out of place in what was
> supposed to be a pucka "conservation job". Here the culprit was
> another of the Trusts's advisers, a structural engineer (now deceased)
> who became quite a thorn in the side of bell restorers. The alarming
> thing is that much of his credibility with conservationists seems to
> have stemmed from the Staunton Harold job!

Or Chadshunt?!

I agree wholeheartedly with CJP but the fact remains that the Staunton H
frame is pretty rigid (I haven't watched Chadshunt) and is not what is
stopping the bells from being rung now.

Not the only rogue engineer - cf. Lichfield before Adrian Dempster sorted
things out.

C D