Twiddle Pins

Richard Offen richard at ...
Mon Nov 7 07:51:03 GMT 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, matthewhigby at a... wrote:

> The back 8 at Hythe, Kent have twiddle pins fitted - and they
appear to be original (1928). These have the old type of Mears
headstocks.

[I'm sure I've seen some earlier than Hythe, but can't for the life
of me think where!]

> DLC says:

> I understand that the present design of Whitechapel headstock was
designed in 1938 in connection with the forthcoming installation at
Liverpool Anglican Cathedral; so presumably they made their
appearance then - that is a calculated guess!

> The new design of WBF headstock did not appear until the very late
1940's or early 1950's.

[The modern pattern of Whitchapel headstock was designed by the late
Douglas Hughes. I think he developed the design after the war for
Liverpool, not before.]

Most that I have seen of this era are not fitted with twiddle
> pins.

[I'm pretty sure that places such as Cripplegate and Hart Street
(early 50s), and indeed Liverpool Cathedral, were fitted with clapper
staple set-bolts from their installation - no doubt someone will
delight in correcting me if I'm wrong!]

Richard