[Bell Historians] Link

Richard Offen richard at ...
Wed Nov 23 13:19:42 GMT 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wilby" <andrew at w...>
wrote:

> that's how they do it.
>
> forget your idea of a bell shape... it brings its own harmonics
with it... they have cracked the whole science.

> Andrew

It was I who suggested that Roger Bailey put the link on his web site.

I think you'll find other bell founders have known much of what the
guys in Melbourne have discovered for a long time, but just chosen,
for commercial reasons, not to put it into practice.

It is planned to have a carillon of these bells as part of the Swan
Bells exhibition at some point in the not too distant future. This
will be hung alongside a traditional carillon of Taylor bells, based
around the old top two octaves of the Canberra Carillon, which were
replaced with new and more powerful bells by Taylors a couple of
years ago.

It will be interesting to compare the two in this way. Like Andrew,
I have experienced the Aussie bells first-hand and I know which I
prefer ...call me Old Mr Stick in the Mud, but proper bells win for
me every time!

Richard