[Bell Historians] Conversions

Mike Chester mike at ...
Fri Oct 14 00:45:49 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Peter Rivet" <peter at p...> wrote:
>Also if we get visits from schoolchildren the metric figure is easier
> to relate to what they are
> taught in school, and to compare with the weight of other things.

Yes, but when I am making the point that 5'10" & 5'11" are very awkward
bits of data when entering them into a database for sorting, I ask the
children which system they prefer - they invariably tell me metric.
Almost without fail when I immediately ask someone their height I get
the answer x feet, y inches or their weight, a stones and b pounds.

Relate it to multiples of themself, perhaps?

Mike