[Bell Historians] Photos

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at ...
Mon Oct 17 10:30:01 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:

> "Before I unsubscribe from Bell Historians [things getting rather
too tetchy for my taste], I may be able to help with your quest. I
probably ought to have noticed this information in an earlier e-mail
but what format would you like photos in and have you any specific
type of inscription/decoration in mind? And, for that matter, do you
only require lettering or are decorations also of interest? Perhaps
this is a silly question. If you had wanted decorations you would
not have asked for inscriptions. I feel another belittling coming
on, but I am trying to help. I really am."

> Anything along these lines really - I just want a variety of
decent pictures for the website.

> I don't belittle people trying to help. My recent criticism was
about the doom-and-gloom merchants who were commenting adversely on
the situation regarding a tower with which I am very much involved
(and they are not) without knowing the full facts, and without even
properly reading the information which I pointed them to before
commenting. I regarded their comments as criticising what has been
done locally about the bells. It has been a difficult and very
unusual situation, and local ringers (and David Potter in
particular) have done the best possible in the circumstances. I
posted the information which I did to inform people, not to provoke
a flood of veiled criticism.

> "I have several close ups of inscriptions/decorations on the
original and newly cast bells at Kirkby Malham, including the coat
of arms of Queen Elizabeth 1st."

> Those would be great - thanks.
>
> David

You really are taking our collective comments far too seriously. No
one wants to see the bells unrung and we will be fascinated to see
how the difficulties will be overcome. In the N East we have similar
situations with one or 2 towers and they have to be worked on by the
right people with the right people skills to try to solve the
obstacles. Your situation with the restaurant ring is unique and
poses unique difficulties due to the hours a restaurant works unless
the ringing can form a cabaret. Keep us posted.