Long Lengths

home home at ...
Sat Oct 29 23:09:28 BST 2005

Due to space restrictions and the number of new record length peals rung
in recent years, the diary no longer contains all current records.

For the full known list, together with previous records, details can be
found at www.cccbr.org.uk/rc.

Richard Allton
Chairman, CC Records Committee.

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 29 October 2005 12:40
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Digest Number 1222

There are 18 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Bell Frames
From: "Roderic Bickerton" <rodbic at ...>
2. Re: Shrewsbury
From: "davidhird_uk" <davidhird_uk at ...>
3. From the E-lists 28 October 2005
From: camp at ...
4. Re: Re: Bell Historians : Walberswick Church ,tower and ruins .
From: "David Cawley" <dave at ...>
5. RE: Digest Number 1221
From: "rchat" <home at ...>
6. Re: Shrewsbury
From: "Richard Offen" <richard at ...>
7. Re: Long lengths
From: "Richard Offen" <richard at ...>
8. Re: Bell Frames
From: "Richard Offen" <richard at ...>
9. Re: Shrewsbury
From: "Richard Offen" <richard at ...>
10. Re: Re: Long lengths
From: matthewhigby at ...
11. RE: Re: Long lengths
From: "Mark Regan" <markregan at ...>
12. Re: Digest Number 1221
From: "Richard Offen" <richard at ...>
13. Re: Long lengths
From: "Richard Offen" <richard at ...>
14. Re:Shrewsbury
From: "philholtsdgr" <pippolucas23 at ...>
15. Re:Shrewsbury
From: "Richard Offen" <richard at ...>
16. Re: Long lengths
From: "Mike Chester" <mike at ...>
17. Evans of Chepstow
From: "David Bryant" <davidbryant at ...>
18. Re: [nabbers] Bell Frames
From: "Roderic Bickerton" <rodbic at ...>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:14:11 +0100
From: "Roderic Bickerton" <rodbic at ...>
Subject: Bell Frames

Old King post frames have a reputation for being difficult to stabilise.
They are a development of the earlier headless or short headed frame.
They consist of an upright on a heavy foundation with the bell on top of
the upright. the upright is braced with two angled props. the structure
is a pair of right angle triangles back to back with the upright common
to both. The swinging bell produces horizontal force. Each prop in turn
takes the load as the bell produces force toward the prop. If the joints
are loose the king post moves across until the looseness is overcome and
the prop can take the load. The only way to stabilise this set up is to
make sure both props are really tight up against the king post. This can
be done by fitting steel tie bolts to pull down the props so that they
are pressing hard against the king post, and able to resist movement
without the king post having to move and take up the slack. The concept
is not changed if the king post frame has full heads and corner posts.
The only additional benefit, (apart from being able to walk round
easily) is proper stabilisation of the width of the pits, Not very
critical with 3 or 4 bells swinging the same way, but essential when the
frame has bells swinging at right angles to each other.

Looking at a full headed king post frame another way it is a box
structure and would not be able to withstand much horizontal force
without some angled bracing (referred to as angled props above).

The principle remains.
The angle braces must work if the frame is to be stable.
They only work if they are touching something.
This means they must be tight and under some load.

Look at this weeks Ringing World.
A lovely clear picture of Brasted frame (P1030).
What has been done to pull in the cross bracing (the king post props)?

Vertical top to bottom tie rods can only be of limited benefit, because
they only pull together the joints of the vertical king and corner
posts, which were never intended to take the horizontal force generated
by the bells. If excessively tight they can overload joints and damage
the timber.

Frames also generally need pulling down onto there foundation beams and
steel underpinning where fitted, if that lot is not to roll around like
a pile of logs, but that is another issue.

Its near November 5 so let us see if there are any fiery replies!

Rod Bickerton
Watford

Message: 2