[Bell Historians] Recording inscriptions (WAS Re: Digest Num ber 1353)

LOVE, Dickon dickon.love at EkQ9jgYA-4dJNvp7XPQb_WCLgjpRwK3hOZSP2FCub1DolyCmNn-rAoh4t7TK-JVG_9XwB9dzUDtYrFDBPqXFlR-P.yahoo.invalid
Thu Apr 13 14:13:17 BST 2006

Giles Blundell:
"- aren't we running the risk of throwing the baby out with the bath
water here?"

Yes, but we are talking about best practice here. Remember that I said
"Sometimes a photograph will work".

Giles again:
"Does anyone know the approach used by academic archaeologists to
recording their finds? I'd have thought that they would be likely to
have good practice that could illuminate issues for us."

Let's take the example of frame recording. I am sure he won't mind me
saying, but Chris Pickford is pretty well the top authority on this and is
sometimes called upon to record frames before they are dismantled. I asked
him recently about the role of photography in this process and he was clear
that this was not a definitive method of recording. I am sure he would be
the best person to amplify on this.

Remember that this exchange only arose because someone has already fallen
into the trap of misrecording inscriptions. If someone can't transcribe from
the bell itself, how can they possibly transcribe from one or more
photographs?

DrL

not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.