[Bell Historians] Royal

edward martin edward.w.martin at EsHujIpD7iomHTJBhpZMb6suiMipdpBQU9LVSLCV1exDVh5dIYmOECYpXD_iEMC62RiCXHk2Vx9Z-TE89N5oPzr1.yahoo.invalid
Wed Aug 23 13:44:42 BST 2006

Don't mean to be argumentative George but it might not be irrelevant
If the evidence is scarce then we have to look under EVERY stone.
(Incidentally modern 'Double Court' appears on p155 (London Peals
where it is simply called 'Court Bob')

Campanalogia is divided into various Collections, with methods
presumably from the then important centres,  the first of which is
Stedman's own work

London Peals:
 "Fifty three London-Peals upon Five, Six, Seven, and Eight Bells,
composed by F. S." - 12 methods for five bells, 25 for six, 6 for
seven bells, and 10 for eight.
Nottingham Peals:
4 methods for six bells
Redding Bob:
two variations of a method for six bells
Oxford Peals: "Fifteen Oxford Peals":
7 five-bell methods and 8 for six.
Cambridge Peals: -:"Seventeen Peals composed at Cambridge, by Mr.
S.S." (Samuel Scattergood):
12 five-bell methods and 5 six-bell methods
finally,
"Fourteen more Peals composed at Cambridg."
12 for five bells and 2 for six

"A map of the period suggests that when change ringing first started,
as far as population is concerned,  the east should be considered of
more importance than the west, and the west more than the north. After
London, the most populous city was Norwich; whereas Birmingham was
then barely more than a small manor, only one sixth the size of
Coventry, Totness had more importance than Liverpool; Maidstone was
twice the size of Manchester, which had developed little more than
Birmingham. Sheffield was a small manor of the Earl of Shrewsbury,
completely dominated by the castle and the manor house".
Now I'm quoting at you from the draft for my book which may never see
publication, but I have done quite a bit of research and find this
period to be extreamly fascinating

mew