[Bell Historians] Bellfounding story

David Cawley dave at pHZpRE2436SHDqWUV1foz5TUhuWa1_f_9Dv-1EyVVrDtro1Fwp6LciJF5nq8VqBoEdMXK7u-NmS4R3C5C5FmX3xBhCRDpg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Aug 31 20:33:05 BST 2006

MessageThe replacement 3rd at Eastry is not one of Loughborough's glories either!

DLC
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew Higson
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 1:13 PM
  Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Bellfounding story

  A good yarn and the identities were so cleverly disguised!

  The incident occurred on 22nd October 1975 and the bells involved were one of the many ill fated Liberty bells that we were casting for WBF and the replacement 3rd for Eastry in Kent.

  The story varies a bit in that the latter bell was tuned quite a bit before the notes suddenly did a nose dive, presumably as the bell gave way and a replacement had to be made. The liberty bell was scrapped without being touched further.

  The culprit must have had a large locker. Some sources suggest speculum metal should have a minimum of 33% tin, which meant that he would have been secreting about 400lbs of tin ingot. I guess the percentage wasn't that high, but high enough to render the bell useless - I wonder what would have happened if the bell had been successfully tuned to the right notes and hung.....

  Andrew