[Bell Historians] Double Clappering - Advice please

David Bagley david at CqvIk34l3XaXjtXic6YeDz1m-oRHL77nzeahV9waeElsp1d2qNso3ZCTz9c96epU3f1S8k-mDmMFyY4_4-ev5eY.yahoo.invalid
Thu Dec 21 02:41:09 GMT 2006

Isn't the chiming machine a converted mangle? Surely this must be unique and
worthy of mention on the list.

DPB

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Pickford" <c.j.pickford.t21 at gM8XcjuUencUK_3p-ikjBEX8gwKFvYQ5OWl-lt5xlH_QcMsfhDn_IMVdgJUQebr2EXHs-y-_8LGlFCoHAlQJoDxAfsy3wQ.yahoo.invalid>
To: <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Double Clappering - Advice please

A bit of history. First peal at this tower in 1978 (after Fred Colley had
rehung the trbele and overhauled the fittings), the band included P. Border
1, C Pickford 2, ... not much room for anyone else in that tiny ringing room
(with a huge fixed ladder in the middle). PB was sure George Fearn's band
had rung peals there, but the 1978 one was the first peal recorded by
Felstead

More of a problem stopping the clappers going over, as I recall - bang the
stay too hard and you're done. Double-clappering is probably preferable to
not striking, so beware alterations that increase the risk of a clapper
going over.

Interesting experience ahead - good luck (won't go so far as to say
"enjoy"!!!).

CP