[Bell Historians] St George, Douglas - old bells

David Cawley dave at iF5AxHS-JEJByumx05QUMOaP4ERRNaDozEUHsrPCs4MIOtXVR3s-4C10ZJfM0i6cSspLIFIo-Ig4EtIxhKY4Qus.yahoo.invalid
Tue Feb 28 11:30:27 GMT 2006

Just a little more information from RWMC's inspection notes of 1978:

32 3/16" diameter 2 1/4" thick 6-2-4
977; 730; 580; 485; 244 Hz = B-0.20
(Crown) 237
(MG) JOHN TAYLOR & CO. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1958 *

I don't know whether it's a crook number or a job number on the crown. It
was hung for full-circle ringing in a softwood frame of c1850.

For the record, there were also ten tubular chimes which I saw just before
removal; one of the larger sets I have seen,  the tenor being 8 feet long.
They were going to Kirk Christ, Lezayre, to replace their six tubes, but I
don't know if they were hung.

There was also in St George's church, when I visited in 1998,  a small bell
from All Saints, Douglas 15 5/8" diameter, inscribed on the waist:
          LLEWELLINS / & / JAMES / BRISTOL
which I hope survives. C1900 with peg argent.

DLC