[Bell Historians] Grimthorpe Bells

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at ...
Tue Jan 10 17:57:36 GMT 2006

> ... recast in the
> first half of the C20 by Taylor's - I have heard it said that in some cases
> Taylor's approached the churches and offered to do the job at a reduced
> rate as they saw the bells as an embarassment. How much truth there is in
> this I don't know.

This is perfectly true - eg. St Peter's Bournemouth, and some of the bells
at Swanage. But I would venture to suggest that it was rather because the
founders were keen to bring about a great improvement than because they were
embarrassed by something done by their forebears 60 and more years earlier.

Incidentally, thinking of Lord Grimthorpe's name, is it pure coincidence
that Edmund Denison Taylor was so named?

C D