[Bell Historians] Stawley.

Andrew Higson andrew_higson at ...
Fri Jan 20 14:12:09 GMT 2006

JT records:

1. 2'3 1/2" 4-1-12, 1/4 sharp of D#
2. 2'5 1/2" 5-1-8, 1/4 sharp of C#

Both cast 7th June 1871 and despatched 5th July 1873

Inscription on treble:

Presented to Stawley Church by the Revd. John Hayne in the
year 1872. Who had been rector of the parish for 30 years.

2nd:

Revd. J:P:Hayne 1872

Tenor note given as G#

As the relationship between the tenor and the trebles seems to be
correct, is it more a case of the bells being a long way out of what we
consider to be in tune rather than a modal relationship to which the
bells may bear some passing resemblance? Unlikely to be 1-5 of 8 if the
two trebles are a whole tone apart.

Good Friday afternoon material, Matthew.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Bryant
Sent: 20 January 2006 12:47
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Stawley.

>Has anyone got the outline details fo the bells at Stawley, Somerset?

Back three medieval Exeter foundry. Two trebles Taylor's 1870s. Canons
off
front two, retained on back three. Frame & fittings by Arthur Fiddler -
fabricated steel canon retaining stocks on back two, RSJ stocks on
trebles.
Lowside frame - if I remember rightly it's a 6-bell frame.

The bells are tuned in the Lydian mode (i.e. 1-5 of 8) - don't know why
Taylor's did this.

So far as I'm aware the bells were not weighed when Arthur Fiddler
rehung
them - tenor approx. 8 cwt.

David

Yahoo! Groups Links