Questions - Bell tradition & Construction

edarata eearata at ...
Sat Jan 28 23:03:10 GMT 2006

I am working on restoring and rehanging a bronze fire bell that was
produced by A. Fulton's Son and Company, Pittsburg. PA (USA)in the
late 1800's. On the outside of the bell is cast "Sutter Creek Fire
Co. - Ordered by Wm. M. Tucker". - Question #1 - In the tradition of
bells, if Tucker's name is prominently cast on the bell, is it safe
to assume that he paid for the bell as a gift to the fire dept? -
Question #2 - Inside the bell are thin metal strips or arms that
hang down in line with where the clapper strikes the bell and it
looks like there may have been strips of leather attached at the
ends. They appear to be bumpers, what do they do? Are they found
on bells that swing or fixed bells or both. Our bell has been
mounted on a tower since 1907 and rung with ropes pulling the
clapper from side to side, but was probably in a belfry before
that. I can supply photos, if that would help.

Thanks for any information that you can supply.

Ed Arata
Sutter Creek Fire Dept.
Sutter Creek, California
eearata at ...