Prague Cath.

Richard Offen richard at D4x20vRP9sW5dE8avmtJARjKhmlj3foAluYoD9BYLame39bAcvM7QjznnHcYKXXWGG4GTHvwuIrT.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jul 1 10:54:47 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "jimhedgcock"
<jameshedgcock at ...> wrote:

> --- >     http://www.gcna.org/data/EUGreatBells.html#FRRC1
> >  I had a browse through this and Sigismund at Prague Cath. has been
> recast.  It cracked when Prague was recently flooded (can't remember
> the year)- in accordance with local tradition.
> We heard it being rung on Easter Day and it was magnificent. The
> tourist guide said it was 2 tons but it sounded more like 15 tons.

The floods were in 2002.  I was working there a few months after the
flood and the devestation caused by the water, especially to many
wonderful heritage buildings, had to be seen to be believed.

Given how high the Cathedral is above the river, I assume that the
flooding did not cause the crack!