[Bell Historians] Old peals of ten and twelve

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at GLYZrIsZCwHqSj2sz_cUrMX8mp__Fev1hqVCs-VNMWEIST7ZHDHPwpkECgFXPmMPRwnriLZCLuwVzP7lGdS5iJo5NHheA0Zm.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jun 12 12:46:01 BST 2006

Pretty sure that the score on the ones you mention is:
  Ashton - yes, almost certainly retuned
  Oxford - not retuned, so far as I know
  Chelsea - not retuned when rehung in c.1893, nor since
  Leeds (Kent) - not significant retuning, although Alf Bowell may have made some minor adjustments

  Cheltenham (certainly as a ten) and All Saints Worcester (the back ten - though now retuned) are fairly good examples - reasonably intact. Wrexham (retuned) too

  Just a few hasty thoughts on this

  CP

Bill Hibbert <bill at LZcVdVBlFy8Hk7J98wTRUtFBVUNEWJ-q0TxNsUjgByRivlsSgVgSfjh_Z1cIikUPRwEYWRAa4Hb30O0.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
          After being away from it for too long, I have now resumed work on my
bell acoustics investigations. As part of this I am interested in old
peals of ten and twelve (pre 1850-ish) which were substantially all
provided as a set, where the trebles still survive and have not been
retuned.

For twelves, I have recorded Painswick and Mancroft. As regards other
twelves, I have some questions:
* were Ashton under Lyne retuned in 1927?
* were Oxford retuned in 1952?
Are there any other twelves I should consider? (I can't find any more
on Michael Wilby's list).

As regards tens, I know of St Luke's Chelsea. Have Leeds (Kent) been
tuned? (the only candidate I can find on Kent bells). Are there any
other lists I should look at? Does anyone know of other untuned old
tens?

Many thanks,

Bill H