Old peals of ten and twelve

Neil Skelton neil.tcct at wTKqAufeOJ_gZ_UWsMKBD3DZJqdBUU17wAY9fmlv3hQ684XOVczaww0RhFbDCoTOadAvJD4l0s14-r7CQQ.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jun 13 18:54:26 BST 2006

Wisbech retuned and rehung 1992. However, were they not 'retuned' in 1935 by, I believe, Mears & Stainbank?

The church guide claims the bells as being the fourth oldest 'peal of ten bells' in the world. They were 'opened' on Friday 19th December, 1823. The dinner at the Rose & Crown Inn cost 12s (60 pence) No mean sum in those days.

I have a small piece of the old bellframe, sold in aid of funds for the 1992 restoration. The 16th.c. bellframe was adapted to accommodate six, then eight and finally, ten bells. This was replaced by a new frame in 1992.

I have rung on these bells both before and after the 1992 tuning. Whilst I have a hazy recollection of the sound I heard in 1965, they are still a good ten.

Neil Skelton.